Quiet around these parts these days. Kinda sad. I hope you are all well?
Well, some have asked for my beans recipe, so I feel I must oblige. I am not sure what the whole copyright rule is, but it's from the Globe and Mail. And it's by Bonnie Stern -- I hope I'm covered!!!
Barbecued Baked Beans
If you're starting with dried beans, use 2 cups (500 mL), soak overnight in cold water, drain, then cover with fresh water and cook about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until tender.
- 6 oz (175 g) bacon, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces -- I used about half a package.
- 1 onion, diced.
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) of favourite bbq sauce.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) of Dijon mustard.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) brown sugar.
- 1/2 cup molasses.
- 5 cups (1.5L) cooked kidney beans - white. I used three large cans.
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded or diced bbq brisket or pulled pork: optional. I did not use.
1. Place bacon in a Dutch oven. Cook on medium heat until most of the fat renders out. Discard fat. Add onions and cook until tender. 5 minutes. Add bbq sauce, mustard, brown sugar, molasses. bring to a boil.
2. Stir in beans and meat (if using) and bake, covered, in a preheated 350F/180C oven for 1 - 2 hours, until thick and saucy.
Makes 8 - 12.
There you have it. I hope you try it and come back and tell me what you think! Happy Hump day!