January 30, 2010

AVATAR

http://www.yugatech.com/ringtones/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/avatar-movie.jpg

I went and saw AVATAR tonight and was beyond blown away. I am going to do my best to explain why and to summarize my thoughts, but know that I don't feel overly confident that I can. I thought I'd start with what Avatar apparently means:
1. The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
2. An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
3. A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

I would, based on the definitions above, consider the movie to be about a spiritual belief that is held by the Na'vi, the partly human alien creatures who live on planet Pandora.

I will not review the movie, as I simply do not feel qualified at all. I just want to write this and get it out -- off my mind! The movie brought to mind one word from start to finish: beauty. It was beyond beautiful, from the special effects to the sentiment: Nature versus Science, Woman versus Man. It was done to perfection. Not a detail was forgotten. An Ecofeminist Science Fiction scholar would be proud, and a movie buff who loved Dances with Wolves would connect. It was gorgeous.

I was completely on a high, connecting all the things I remember learning about eco-feminism some ten years ago: the linear versus the circular, networks versus singular persons with selfish preoccupations; the woman versus the man in both the human species and the Other; the Scientific need to advance versus Nature's need to simply exist. Every detail was considered from the music, to the visuals, and from the story to the very specific Science Fiction formula. It was perfect.

I highly recommend everyone watches it. I loved that while my husband watched the film and saw Dances with Wolves, I watched and saw Marge Percy's Woman on the Edge of Time.

It is what you want it to be, regardless of who you are. And it is beauty.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this movie too! It was visually gorgeous and had a powerful, multi-layered story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails